Skin tags and skin warts are harmless skin lesions, but can be unsightly and irritating. Dr Nicole will examine the skin lesion in detail using dermoscopy and confirm with you the diagnosis before any removal procedure is undertaken. There are different ways to remove a skin tag or wart.
Dr Nicole will discuss these methods and recommend the most appropriate method for you at your consultation in Manchester, Cheshire or Lancashire. Comprehensive aftercare advice will be given.
- Performed by a Consultant Dermatologist with specialist experience in diagnosing and treating skin cancers and benign skin lesions
- Comprehensive full skin assessment and dermoscopy for accurate diagnosis
- Full range of removal techniques offered with pathological diagnosis
- Skin surgery techniques that will give the best cosmetic results
- Comprehensive aftercare programme
- No GP referral required
There are different ways to remove a skin tag or wart, and these include:
- Excision removal: The entire skin tag is cut away into the skin. This is done under local anaesthesia and the wound is closed with some stitches in the skin. A scar will remain, but usually fades with time.
- Snip and cautery: This is done by snipping away the skin tag with a pair of scissors under local anaesthesia. No stitches are required for this procedure. Cautery is applied to stop any bleeding. A mark will remain on the skin, but usually fades with time. Snip and cautery is suitable for removing skin tags.
- Cryotherapy: Cryotherapy is a method of destroying skin cells by freezing the cells using liquid nitrogen. This is a simple and quick procedure that does not require local anaesthesia. A mark may remain on the skin, but usually fades with time. Cryotherapy can be used for treating skin tags or warts / veruccas.
- Shave removal: The part of skin tag or skin wart which sticks out from the skin is shaved away with a scalpel. This is done under local anaesthesia. No stitches are required for this procedure. A pink or brown flat mark will remain on the skin, but usually fades with time. This procedure is suitable for removing warts / verrucas or skin tags.